Saturday, June 5, 2010

Paris


A week after Turnberry, it was time for a non-golf trip, as people were beginning to question whether or not I was actually over here to learn and travel. On Saturday morning, Mary, who is doing maymester in London, and I took the eurostar over to Paris to meet up with some of her friends, Ferrell and Emily (whose dad graduated from MUS with my father, small world). We got upgraded to a really nice hotel because our original hotel was overbooked, so it was ESPN and air conditioning for me. What I was not able to enjoy over the weekend was a bed, as the three women got the King to themselves (if women want equal rights, why cant they have equal floor?). I digress. I ended up not having to pay, so it all works out in the end.

Anyhoo, we hit all the main sights in Paris pretty hard. Eiffel Tower, the Arc De Triumph, Notre Dame, and the Louvre. We probably walked 5 miles on Sunday, as we walked from the Arc De Triumph to Notre Dame and back to the Eiffel Tower. The sore feet were worth it at the end of the day. The only thing we missed out on was the French open, because I procrastinated on booking the tickets, and by the time we were ready to go, they were all gone.

One negative thing about Paris was that everyone smelled like death. Literally death. Many of the locals apparently do not wear deodorant, because the metro (subway) smelled something awful. That is my one and only complaint. In addition to holding my breath on the metro, I also got to test out my French skills acquired over the years from high school and college. I was decent, and it was cool to actually put something to use that I learned back in the day. Below, you can see Mary D and Ferrell who are appalled at the Mona Lisa’s lack of coolness and the general odor in the room.

The best part about Paris was the delicious food, which I have not enjoyed for sometime, as the English, for some reason, are just bad at food. Eating out was the main attraction for me. It was overall a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment